A 71-year-old woman who could only move her left thumb after suffering a devastating stroke is now walking again after undergoing a stem cell procedure.
The woman was part of a stem cell study done on stroke victims at Stanford University — and she wasn’t the only one whose life was completely changed by the treatment…
Two other patients also got up out of their wheelchairs and started walking again.
STEM CELLS FOR STROKE RECOVERY
In total, 18 stroke survivors who thought they’d be paralyzed for the rest of their lives experienced what Stanford researchers are calling “remarkable” recoveries. Most have regained almost FULL mobility.1
The researchers admit they were “stunned” by the results.
That’s because they fly in the face of everything mainstream medicine will tell you about recovering from a stroke.
You see, most doctors believe it’s pointless to continue therapy if a patient hasn’t seen any improvement six months after their stroke.
But here’s the thing…
All of the patients in the study had passed the critical six-month mark. Some had a stroke as many as THREE YEARS before.
This is one of the most amazing examples of the healing power of stem cells that I’ve heard of. But I’m not surprised.
And it’s such a simple procedure…
The Stanford researchers harvested stem cells from adult donors and injected them into damaged areas of the stroke victims’ skulls. The patients returned home the same day with only a slight headache.
And most started to show improvement within the first 24 hours.
WHAT IS STEM CELL THERAPY?
Stem cell procedures were once controversial. But I want to be clear: the stem cells used today are NOT the “embryonic” stem cells used years ago in research. We’ve since learned that one of the best places to get stem cells is actually from your own fat tissue.
You’re born with a reserve of “replacement cells” — or stem cells. They’re your body’s master cells. You can use them to replace any cell that’s damaged or dying.
When they’re deployed, stem cells heal and regenerate the tissue or organ they’re assigned to, and can help you make stunning recoveries.
The “secret weapons” inside stem cells that makes this possible are tiny proteins called growth factors.
WHAT ARE HUMAN GROWTH FACTORS?
Human growth factors are cellular messengers that send signals to activate the production of new cells, or to instruct a cell to create new cells with different functions. This special signaling mechanism is what triggers the healing power of these cells.
HOW TO INCREASE STEM CELLS IN YOUR BODY
In the meantime, here are five ways you can increase your body’s production of stem cells right now…
- Practice Tai Chi. This ancient Chinese martial art has been practiced for over 3,000 years. But only recently have scientists realized that this self-paced system of slow, gentle stretching can increase your number of stem cells in your body as you get older.2 These stem cells, called CD34 cells, are produced deep in your bone marrow.
- Eat blue-green algae. Blue-green algae is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. There are two kinds, spirulina and a variety known as AFA. Researchers at the University of South Florida found that the AFA variety can greatly increase the production of human stem cells in bone marrow.3 AFA is available as a supplement or a
powder and can be found online. I recommend 800 mg a day.
- Eat more seaweed. Seaweed contains an important molecule called fucoidan. This compound increases the release of adult stem cells into the bloodstream.4 It also helps mobilize those stem cells so they can travel to the parts of the body that need repair and renewal. Fucoidan is found primarily in brown seaweed and makes a
delicious salad. You can also purchase supplements online. I suggest 400 mg a day.
- Add carnosine. I recommend getting 1,000 mg of carnosine every day. Grass-fed, pasture-raised meat is the best way to get carnosine from food. A typical 7-ounce serving of beef has about 250 mg of carnosine. If you can’t get enough by eating red meat, I recommend you supplement with natural L-carnosine. Take 500 mg twice a day.
- Fast for two days every six months. Periodic calorie restriction — no food for two days every six months — kills older, damaged stem cells and generates new ones.5 This is a technique I’ve used for years to jumpstart the healing and rejuvenation process.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1 Steinberg G, et al. Clinical Outcomes of Transplanted Modified Bone Marrow–Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Stroke: A Phase 1/2a Study. Stroke. E Published Ahead of Print: June 02, 2016.
2 Ho TJ, Ho LI, Hsueh KW, Chan TM, et al. Tai Chi intervention increases progenitor CD34(+) cells in young adults. Cell Transplant. 2014;23(4-5):613-20.
3 Shytle DR, Tan J, Ehrhart J, Smith AJ, et al. Effects of blue-green algae extracts on the proliferation of human adult stem cells in vitro: a preliminary study. Med Sci Monit. 2010 Jan;16(1):BR1-5.
4 Stephenson, K., Grout, M. “Fucoidan and Stem Cells — Seaweed promotes stem cell function.” Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine. 2 Sep 2015.
5 Cheng C, Adams G, Perin L, et al. Prolonged fasting Reduces IGF-1/PKA to promote hematopoietic-stem-cell-based regeneration and reverse immunosuppression. Cell Stem Cell. 2014 Jun 5;14(6):810-23.