One of my favorite things to do when I travel to Bali is visit my friends Westi and Lelir on their plantation.
The cengkeh trees in Bali
have a heavenly scent that is
out of this world.
I can spend hours just walking through their gorgeous herb gardens. You can get lost out there….
Lelir is a traditional Balinese healer. And Westi grows the healing plants Lelir uses in her herbal medicines.
On my latest trip, I came across something I hadn’t seen before. And it smelled heavenly.
The scent was coming from beautiful trees covered with cream-colored flowers and purple berries.
Entire jungles of those trees grow in Bali. I don’t think anywhere else on Earth smells quite so lovely.
In fact, almost everywhere you go on this tropical paradise island smells sweet and fresh and unspoiled.
I wish I could say it was the same once I returned home. But back in this country, the air is nothing like that for most of us…
Every time you go outside and take a deep breath of air, you inhale some of the most dangerous compounds on Earth. Factories, mines, power plants, and chemical farming release tons of toxins and heavy metals. They’ve turned our skies into an invisible toxic cloud.
Small particles from air pollution get into your lungs and bloodstream. Toxins like arsenic, mercury and cadmium can lodge deep in the body.
A review in the journal Circulation found that breathing these small particles over just a few hours or weeks can raise the risk of cardiovascular deaths.1 The World Health Organization says all this pollution in our air contributes to about seven million premature deaths each year.
These toxins are also linked to a long list of other health problems including:
And there are other chemicals in our air that also look and act like the hormone estrogen.2
These fake estrogens get into your blood. They throw off your normal hormone balance. They’ve been linked to breast and reproductive cancers, infertility, diabetes and obesity.
And now, new research shows that this air pollution can also increase your risk of osteoporosis…
Researchers from Harvard analyzed data on 9.2 million Medicare enrollees who had been hospitalized for fractures. They found that even a small increase in exposure to air pollution was linked with an increase in fractures among older adults.3
It makes sense…
Pollution causes oxidative damage and inflammation that speeds up bone loss and leads to more fractures. But fake estrogens in the air also attack your bones…
The Harvard study found that people who lived in areas with higher air pollution and car exhaust had lower levels of an important calcium and bone hormone. And they had greater loss of bone mineral density.
Detox Air Pollution Out of Your Body
Most doctors don’t even recognize all the ways air pollution attacks your body. But I help my patients stop the build-up of these deadly toxins before they cause heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis or other diseases.
Here are three proven ways to detox safely…
- Intravenous chelation. I offer intravenous (IV) chelation to almost every patient I see. For IV chelation I inject calcium disodium EDTA directly into your bloodstream. And in no time, EDTA grabs heavy metals and toxins and pulls them out of your body. It’s painless. Patients tell me they feel better almost immediately.
If you would like more information about IV chelation, please contact the Sears Institute for Anti-Aging Medicine at 561-784-7852.
- Activated charcoal. Like EDTA, activated charcoal grabs onto toxic molecules. Then it escorts them from your body. Just a tiny amount can absorb and wash away years of toxins and heavy metal buildup. It’s extremely effective and inexpensive.
Look for activated charcoal as a very fine, black powder in your local health food store or online. I like activated charcoal made from coconut shells. Take 20 to 30 grams mixed with water once a day for one to two weeks.
- Cloves. Remember those fragrant trees in Bali? Westi and Lelir call the dried berries from these trees “cengkeh.” We know them as cloves.
Cloves have an amazing anti-estrogen nutrient called eugenol. Eugenol helps keep your body from absorbing the fake estrogens that seep into your body from our chemically polluted world. It stimulates enzymes in your stomach to convert these fake estrogens into harmless water-soluble compounds.4 Then it flushes them from your body.5
I like to use cloves in baking and cooking stews. They are delicious in mulled apple cider or wine. I also like to make a clove and cinnamon tea. Here’s how…
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
2. Brook R., et al. “Particulate Matter Air Pollution and Cardiovascular Disease: An Update to the Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.” Circulation. 2010.
2. Westervelt, A. “We’re exposed to hormone-disrupting BPA just by breathing.” The Guardian (London). July 21, 2015.
3. Prada D., et al. “Association of air particulate pollution with bone loss over time and bone fracture risk: analysis of data from two independent studies.” The Lancet Planetary Health. November 2017.
4. Basu N., et. al. “Gastrointestinally Distributed UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A10, Which Metabolizes Estrogens and Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs, Depends upon Phosphorylation.” J Bio Chem. 2004.
5. Basu N, et. al. “Differential and Special Properties of the Major Human UGT1-encoded Gastrointestinal UDP-glucuronosyltransferases Enhance Potential to Control Chemical Uptake.” J Bio Chem. 2004.